Designer with a business mindset - Helsinki, Finland
Who we are
Columbia Road is an independent Futurice subsidiary challenging the old ways of running ecommerce and digital business. We exist to increase our clients’ revenue and help them get more customers in the digital era. Our tight-knit team consists of business consultants who understand software as well as business-minded digital marketing, design and technology specialists.
We, like Futurice, are a great place to work. Our company spirit is one of a true start-up, but with a twist of hard-core experience. We believe in giving a lot of responsibility and freedom to our employees. We love to laugh a lot, play some tunes at the office and grab a few drinks after work.
You want your creative work to have a bigger impact than just creating the look & feel and UI of the products and services you're working on. You have the skills and courage to investigate, analyse and suggest both small experiments as well as bold moves to your clients.
You're great at communicating visually: your designs make complex and abstract things appear understandable and as beautiful as possible.
You have a wide variety of tools and methods in your toolbox – such as customer research, user personas, customer experience maps, user journeys and service blueprints – which help you conceptualise and communicate your design ideas. You’ve gained real life experience in building digital services and know how to use your tools to create clear and sharp insights to solve the actual business need.
There are no silver bullets for complex problems. Business driven design is more than a beautiful UI. A monolithic ecommerce platform might be just fine for one’s need whereas another customer is better served with sales channels built with specific cloud-based microservices.
Design & technology are the tools for doing better business. Digital sales, or any sales, can’t be operated as an IT-project and the whole organisation needs to understand that. This is our mission.
Skills and experience we expect you to have:
- Great communication skills
- Experience in facilitating ideation workshops and user interviews
- Earlier experience with software development projects
- Know-how to communicate with business stakeholders and more technology-oriented people
- You master the proper tooling (Photoshop, Sketch, or similar) to visualise your ideas with sketches, wireframes and finalised design elements
- It would be very valuable, if you have previous experience in conceptualising and building digital customer channels, ecommerce services or webshops.
Please show us your portfolio.
First interview: before diving deeper into your skills, we want to know who you are and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn more about Columbia Road. We also let you present highlights from your portfolio and tell us about your roles and learnings.
Second interview: you get to meet more Columbia Road people, and the conversation will zoom in to the areas that we’ve identified as most interesting in the first meeting. We’re trying to get a solid understanding of your skills and ambitions. You will understand better how you would potentially fit into our team.
Sometimes it’s useful to have a third round. After all, we’re making a match between our organisation and you, as a human being. We want to get this right.
When we’re done with the face-to-face discussions, we’ll contact the people you have chosen as references.
We hope to hear from you soon!
- Best people to work with and learn from in a flat organisation
- Competitive salary
- Lunch benefit
- Phone benefit
- Pick the laptop and phone of your choosing
- Health care & service
- Insurance for travel and free-time
- Recurring training & learning sessions
- Wellness and personal development (tools, events, etc.) reimbursement
- Friday breakfasts
- Sports & culture vouchers
- Company excursion trips (e.g. this autumn to London)
- Option to have housing as a part of total compensation (tax deductible)